Yes, unfortunately wearing a mask frequently can bring some trouble for the eyes. How? Well, instead of our hot breath and bacteria being blown out, it’s now being directed up into our eyes. Because of this, we’ve been seeing an increase in eye problems, such as:
- Eye infections
- Contact lens-related conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- Meibomian gland dysfunction (clogged oil glands at the margin where the eyelash meets the eyelid
- General redness, itching, irritation, burning, and discharge
Got Eye Problems From Wearing Masks? Here’s What to Do
Enough of the doom and gloom, here’s how to fight these problems…
1) Regularly clean around your eyelid margins. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Using Ocusoft eyelid scrubs
- Putting a dab “no more tears” baby shampoo on a warm wet washcloth and cleaning the lids and lashes, then rinsing with warm water
2) Gently massage your eyelids to help clear the oil and keep the glands from getting clogged immediately after you get out of the shower and your pores are open. A hot compress with digital massage will also do the trick.
3) If you wear contact lenses, don’t fall asleep while wearing them. Also, dispose of contact lens solution instead of letting it sit in your contact lens case and reusing it.
5) Got a stye? You might need a prescription topical ointment or an oral antibiotic, depending on how deep it is.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that these types of eye difficulties will be covered by your general medical insurance. You don’t have to worry about going to the doctor without eye-specific insurance because these issues are considered medical problems.
Schedule Your Exam With Our Eye Doctor in Whiteville, NC
Whether you need an optometrist for a routine eye examination, to find the right pair of contact lenses or glasses, or for more advanced eye care services, Dr. Tiffany Jackson has the right experience and expertise to help you.
With years of outstanding service in the community, East Carolina Optometric Care has a reputation of excellence. We were also awarded the Patient’s Choice Award in 2016!